Thursday, October 05, 2006

Stonehenge

And so we come to Stonehenge.



It's extremely old (about 4000 years!), extremely impressive, and nobody living knows for sure what it was for. So there isn't much I can say about it. As usual though Wikipedia has a lot of analysis here. Still, we were very glad we came.

It's set on a rather unremarkable plain, surrounded by pastures and the ordinary tourist entrance. When it was built this area was probably heavily wooded. It would be great to get up close and touch the stones, but alas you have to stay behind the velvet rope.

The audio guide did mention that things weren't always this way - sometime in the last couple of hundred years (forget exactly when) a nearby shop rented out chisels for you to chip off your own souvenir. Friend of humanity, that chap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben & Eve!
I am at Jenny and Larry's at the moment and they let me view your blog!
It was so good, interesting and informative. I read the whole thing and felt I was there (what with the pictures and all) I have written you a letter, but my printer will not print at the moment, so I will have to copy it out by hand. Love you heaps!

Anonymous said...

Hello Eve!
I was wondering if you could post more photo's from around your house, because I have no idea what it looks like!
Love you and missing you!